More Flooring + a Window Bench with Storage

So going back to my last post about about laying the flooring.  Slowly, I have managed to move on to another room in the house.  The room is our “Breakfast Room”.  This has always been the coldest room in our entire home.  It was tile on top of a concrete slab and it is almost unbearable to go barefoot on in the winter.  The flooring this time was going to cover tile instead of old wood flooring.  It ended up being the exact same process as in the series of posts I did before with much less drama due to floor unevenness.

Transition It was very nice to see the flooring flowing into another room.  We did have one problem though.  The little shelf along the wall that I was going to just remove during this process ended up being there to cover cinder blocks that the wall was built on.  I would love an explanation as to why this was done if anyone has some sort of idea!  So we decided to just do a full length bench with storage along the entire wall and corner around out dining room table to not lose those the critical 6 inches.

Covering the floor with cork fixed the super cold flooring issues, and is now like every other floor in our home.  The concrete wall ended up being a major source of air infiltration as well.  So I caulked it up and I used expanding foam in every significant area I could find.  I even plan on taking the plastic from the floor up the wall to try and keep it as air tight as possible.

Here is the room pre-bench seat being built.  At this point I did not want to put the floating floor underneath it, afraid it might cause expansion and contraction issues.

Flooring

So the bench seat is going to be fairly large.  I have played around with Google Sketchup before and always loved when Ana White uses it to give plans, So I decided I would go for it this time.  It had some huge benefits I didn’t realize as well.  I watched the tutorials and figured it out within 30 minutes or so.  I had used Autodesk Inventor in the past but it had been a while ago.  Here is what I came up with.

2016-02-25_0847

I then found a plugin called Cut List.  You just tell it what size material you are working with the size of your saw blade and it will come back with a full list of cuts that need to me made and optimize your cuts to get the most from the wood you bought.  I ended at something like 94% efficiency.  This was a huge deal, with little kids this bench would have taken forever.  I would have been cutting as needed and not just been able to cut everything in 30 minutes like I did.  The smaller part of the “L” in the bench was together during a single nap time.  The bigger one will have to go together in sections sometime soon.  Pictures will follow in later posts.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *